Random Thoughts From a Cinemaniac

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Reflections on the Globes



So, once again I find myself caught up in the always bittersweet movie
awards season with the Golden Globes. Like watching the third Godfather
in that it really isn't that good, but it's just good enough to watch.
However, though I did predictions and researched info about every movie
nominated for anything, I didn't even really feel like watching it. In fact, I
didn't see the whole thing because I felt it more interesting to watch
Billy Jack starring Tom Laughlin on DVD at the time - by the way it's
the most screwed up movie possibly of all-time if you're curious.
But I did catch everything from Marty winning best director on so I
think I'm in good shape to do a recap of the surprises.


Surprises: Babel winning best picture, drama. This shocker was
delivered by the Governator on crutches, an odd touch considering
almost all of the other presenters are actually good at acting,
writing, directing or something else relating to movies. The only
role that Ahnold (err, Arnold) was ever good at was portraying a
machine who talked monotone. Everything seemed to be about The
Departed and The Queen and after Scorsese won for best director, well
I almost went back to watching Ken Griffey Jr. dominate in Little Big
League (Yes, I know it's sad that watching this very bad movie is one
of the few lasting images of how good Griffey was back in the day, but
that is neither here nor there). But does this mean that it can
contend for best picture at the Oscars? At this time, I would like to
thank Regal Cinemas for not having Babel playing at any of the three
Regal locations within driving distance of me, as well as only having
Blood Diamond and Little Children left out of the other movies up for
various awards.

Cohen winning best actor in a comedy/musical. I was very surprised to
see Cohen win as Best Actor in a comedy/musical and while it isn't a gaurantee that he'll get an Oscar nomination because of it, I think
his chances are very good. Also, while I really was hoping to see him to be in character the whole time, he probably made the right choice by delivering his speech straight and found his speech pretty clever, even if it was mostly about starring down a 300 pound man's cavity.

Eddie Murphy winning best supporting actor. This was the biggest
surprise of the night, for me anyway, as I just assumed it would go
Nicholson for The Departed. With Murphy and Hudson winning alongside Dreamgirls winning Best musical/comedy, apparently Dreamgirls really will be a force in the other major movie awards ceremonies.


Worst prediction: Johnny Depp over Cohen. I picked Depp to win even though Cohen won a few city best actor awards (San Francisco and L.A.). I'm not even sure why I did this – I blame the vending machine being out of caffeinated beverages. Or maybe it was the office jackass talking way too much on the morning I was doing my predictions, causing me to be tilted towards supreme pessimism, which would explain me picking Depp in what I thought was a terrible movie winning over Cohen in a movie that was even funnier than the steep anticipation. Or maybe I'm actually the office jackass.

Coming soon: Why Little Children was almost a really good movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home